PrairieCare offers Free Needs Assessments to anybody seeking psychiatric services.
A Needs Assessment is a face-to-face interview with a trained counselor to help determine which level of care is most appropriate for that person. Anybody can schedule a Needs Assessment at one of our six locations. PrairieCare can usually offer an assessment within a few days of initial contact.
A Needs Assessment is not a full psychiatric evaluation, but rather a comprehensive assessment which determines the most appropriate mental health services to address an individual’s needs. This may include, but is not limited to: outpatient clinic services, intensive outpatient programs, partial hospital, inpatient hospital, residential treatment, or substance abuse treatment.
The following are the steps a parent or patient can take to setup a Needs Assessment:
1) Call us at 888-9-prairie and ask to schedule a Needs Assessment. We offer Needs Assessments in Brooklyn Park, Chaska, Edina, Maple Grove, Maplewood, Rochester, and Woodbury.
2) When a Needs Assessment is scheduled it is often helpful to bring the following documents with you to the appointment:
Parent/guardian consent (if minor)
Custody paperwork/divorce decree (if applicable)
Contact information of past and current providers (we may ask to sign a release of information to communicate with these providers)
Any past pertinent clinical records
Insurance card (you are ultimately responsible for understanding your coverage information)
The following registration forms can be printed and completed beforehand. This will help decrease your wait time when you arrive for your appointment.
The following information does not need to be printed beforehand, but is available for your review:
3) A typical Needs Assessment interview will last between 45-60 minutes. After the interview the Needs Assessment Counselor will review the information with the Psychiatrist to determine appropriate recommendations. The entire process may take up to 90 minutes. At the conclusion of this time the family will be offered referrals, either to PrairieCare programs, or to community resources.
- When appropriate for a PrairieCare Program we will schedule an intake appointment with program staff. Please note that often times it is necessary to begin treatment as soon as possible, in particular if suicidal ideation or intentions are present.
- When appropriate for a clinic service at PrairieCare, our staff schedulers will help you find an appointment at a convenient site.
- Often times special conditions may be treated in a program or agency other than PrairieCare. We collaborate with other community providers to make sure that patients are connected with the best specialists for their condition.
If you need information about bed availability or to schedule a Free Needs Assessment please call 952-826-8475.
If you have further questions about Needs Assessments please contact Jamie Barten, MA, LMFT, Admissions Director at 763-762-6840.